Past Articles by This Author:
Books-A-Million Launches Summer Reading Program with Carl HiaasenKathryn Mattingly's BENJAMIN Pre-Released in NorCal and OregonBob Brown Releases THE RIDE OF MY LIFEI JUST DON'T GET MY PARENTS' RULES Helps Children Understand Why Rules ExistNew York Times Bestselling Author and Meditation Expert, Ilchi Lee Releases Book'Where are the Christians: the Unrealized Potential of a Divided Religion' is ReleasedHer Interactive Releases 'Nancy Drew: Ghost of Thornton Hall'Customizabooks LLC Launches Kickstarter Project For Kids And WritersJean LaMantia Registered Dietitian, Cancer Survivor and Author Announces PartnershipBookLikes Announces Launch
Readers browsing eBook and audiobook collections at OverDrive-powered libraries and schools viewed 2.7 billion book and title catalog pages and generated 192 million registered visitor sessions last year. As more readers visit their library's digital collection to find their next great read, the digital library has become a critical hub of book discovery. Across OverDrive's network of 22,000 libraries and schools, browsing and sampling skyrocketed in 2012, giving fresh exposure to titles throughout OverDrive's catalog of more than 1 million eBooks and audiobooks. To find a library near you, visit search.overdrive.com.
"As a result of the continued expansion of OverDrive's library service platform and the addition of over 300,000 titles, including Harry Potter and other bestsellers, digital libraries saw record traffic last year," said Shannon Lichty, OverDrive's Manager of Library Partner Services. "For decades, readers have turned to the library to discover new books, and OverDrive's new responsive library platform is based on web-centric open standards to carry that tradition to the next generation of readers." For an example of OverDrive's Next Generation services, visit Los Angeles Public Library's e-Media site (http://lapl.lib.overdrive.com).
- 192 million registered visitor sessions, up 93 percent from 2011
- 2.7 billion book and title catalog pages viewed, up 65 percent
- Sampling is up more than 500 percent, with a significant spike following the release of OverDrive Read samples in Sept. 2012
- Discovery has increased by more than 60 percent, with more than 1 billion cover image impressions in Dec. 2012
- OverDrive catalog now includes 1 million eBook, audiobook, music and video titles in 65 languages, including 300,000 titles added in 2012
- Mobile visits increased to 47 percent of all visits
- 16 million downloads of the OverDrive Media Console app in 2012
- 70 million digital titles checked out in 2012
At the American Library Association Midwinter Meeting (Washington State Convention Center, Booth 1115) in Seattle, Jan. 25 to 28, OverDrive will share additional eBook data and demonstrate how reader engagement is soaring at Next Generation libraries. The Cleveland-based digital distributor is pioneering a series of Next Generation enhancements that extend the value of its industry-leading eBook-lending platform.
More Articles by This Author...