The issue of adult children caring for their aging parents is affecting more people than ever before. According to a recent study, the percentage of Americans who care for an elderly parent has tripled during the past 15 years and now represents a quarter of all adult children.
In her new book, "OH MY GOD! WE'RE PARENTING OUR PARENTS: How to Transform this Remarkable Challenge into a Journey of Love" (ISBN: 978-1479104888; on sale March 15, 2013; softcover, $19.95; digital, $14.95), Jane Wolf Waterman cuts to the chase with insight and practical advice for the millions of adults caring for their aging parents.
"OH MY GOD! WE'RE PARENTING OUR PARENTS" addresses topics including emotional issues, financial and legal problems, disagreements between siblings, resistance among parents to accept care from their children, long-distance logistical challenges, common obstacles faced by adult children and elderly parents, planning in advance to take care of one's parents, maintaining normal life balance while tending to aging parents, the impact and role of grandchildren and many other areas that are critical to dealing with elderly parents.
Among many other things, the book will teach readers how to:
- Identify the initial signs elderly parents need help,
- Decide if they are the right person for the job,
- Maintain family and career while taking care of elderly parents,
- Redefine relationships with parents and siblings,
- Assess the needs of senior parents and find the right services and help,
- Heal old family wounds that will interfere with taking care of one's parents,
- Evaluate an aging parent's ability to live alone, and
- Compassionately talk with an elderly parent about their need for help or changes that need to be made.
"OH MY GOD! WE'RE PARENTING OUR PARENTS" is available at booksellers across the country as well as online. More information is available at www.ParentingOurParents.org.